With the continued increase of COVID-19 rates in York County, Fort Mill Town Council approved an ordinance on July 6, 2020, requiring the public to wear face coverings while inside any food, retail and service establishments within Town limits and inside any Town government offices. The ordinance took effect July 8, 2020, and will last for 30 days. Read the press release, ordinance and FAQ here.
The Town of Fort Mill is working to provide normal services amid the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19), though some procedures have changed. Please see below for all current changes to Town operations (as of June 12, 2020):
- Fort Mill Town Hall (200 Tom Hall St.) will be restricted only to employees. Customers can use our two drive-through lanes to make utility and municipal court payments or to pay for building permits or business licenses. Please follow signage to the correct lane.
- Fort Mill Municipal Court is closed until further notice. You will receive a notice in the mail as to future court dates. You can also pay online at www.sc.gov.
- We are encouraging the public to only visit the Police Department lobby for emergency situations. All other issues, such as printing reports, can be done online. For non-emergency situations, please call (803) 547-2022 for information. For emergency situations, please call 911.
- The Fire Department is operating for emergency situations only. Burn permits are not being issued at this time. For non-emergency situations, please call (803) 547-5511 for information. For emergency situations, please call 911.
- The Utilities office is closed to the public. Please call (803) 547-7158 for any non-billing questions. For billing questions, contact the Town’s Business Office at (803) 547-2034.
- The Town is currently suspending any non-payment disconnects of service at this time.
- All water and wastewater services are operating as normal.
- The Public Works office is closed to the public. Please call (803) 547-7158 for any questions you may have.
- All trash and recycling pickup is currently running as scheduled.
Parks & Recreation:
Fort Mill Town Council approved May 11, 2020 to reopen the Town’s public parks, greenspaces, trails, pathways, athletic fields and tennis courts, though social distancing measures must still be followed by the public and all state and federal requirements limiting the number of people who can gather in public still apply.
Fort Mill Town Council approved June 8, 2020 allowing youth and adult sport leagues to resume competition this month, while also allowing Town-sponsored camps to operate this summer and approving opening playgrounds in Town parks. Fort Mill Parks and Recreation Director Brown Simpson said sport league practices can begin immediately, and competition begins on June 22. A few summer camps will also be allowed to begin on June 22. Town Council also approved on June 11 to open all picnic shelters at Town parks.
Playgrounds at public parks reopen June 12, 2020, though social distancing measures must still be followed by the public and all state and federal requirements limiting the number of people who can gather in public still apply. Signs will be posted at playgrounds informing the public to use at their own risk. Restroom facilities at Town parks will also open and will be cleaned twice daily, but with signs limiting the number of people who can use them at one time. In the restrooms at Dobys Bridge Park, every other stall will be cordoned off to maintain social distancing. The Town asks the public to follow these guidelines when using Town playgrounds:
- Practice social distancing of 6 feet or more, though we understand this is difficult for young children.
- Only interact with people in your household.
- Always wear a facemask while on the playground.
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth or nose.
- Have children wash their hands with soap and water 20 seconds before and after playground use.
- Use hand sanitizer before, during and after use if soap and water are not available.
- Do not use playground equipment if others are already using it.
- Remain courteous and respectful of others at all times.
- If you are sick, please refrain from using playground equipment and stay at home.
- Please use playgrounds at your own risk.
The town has not reopened its buildings or facilities to the public other than mentioned above, and is not providing rental opportunities at this time.
Board and Commission Meetings:
- Effective immediately, all commission and board meetings are cancelled.
Plan Reviews and Permitting:
Our plan review and permitting procedures have changed as a result of the COVID-19 situation. Please follow the procedures below for submitting plans for review and/or for submitting applications for permitting.
- Plans and applications may be submitted to us digitally at email@example.com. Applications may be found on our website at www.fortmillsc.gov. Once reviewed and approved, staff will call or email applicants to advise of any next steps including payment procedures. Please note that plans approved digitally will need to be printed by the applicant following approval and available at the job site.
Plans and applications can be dropped off at a designated location by the front door of Town Hall for review and approval. Plans dropped off before noon will be processed that day. Any plans submitted after noon will be processed the following business day. Once approved, staff will call or email applicants to advise of any next steps including payment and permit pickup procedures.
- If you have any questions about submitting plans for review or have any permitting questions, please reach out to the applicable contact listed below:
- For plan review questions, please contact our development coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or (803) 835-2337.
- For questions relating to building permits, please contact our building official at email@example.com or (803) 835-1157.
- For questions relating to zoning, please contact our zoning administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org or (803) 835-1161.
Currently, our building inspections process is proceeding as normal. Inspectors will be following applicable social distancing protocols during inspections and may work with contractors on a case by case basis for alternate procedures as may be necessary to maintain social distancing. For questions about the inspections process, please email us at email@example.com or call (803) 835-1157.
- Applications for a business license may be found on our website at www.fortmillsc.gov. To best serve you, please fill out the application and email it to our staff at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once reviewed, our staff will call or email applicants to advise of any next steps including payment procedures.
- Paper applications for a business license may be obtained through our drive through at Town Hall. We ask that applicants be patient with us as we work to approve business licenses using the drive through.
- If you have any questions about submitting applications for a business license or have general questions about business licensing, please contact our business license official at email@example.com or (803) 835-1167.
Other Planning or Permitting Items:
For general questions relating to our Planning Department functions, please contact our planning director at firstname.lastname@example.org or (803) 835-1160.
For general questions relating to our Building Department functions, please contact our building official at email@example.com or (803) 835-1157.
For all other questions, please call us at (803) 547-2034. We are experiencing higher than normal call volumes and therefore are asking for your patience as we work to answer your call.