What is a sewer backflow?

A blockage in your private plumbing system or in our sewer main in the street can cause a sewer back-up. If you experience wastewater backing up into drains or toilets in your home, contact the Utilities Department (803-547-7158) or a plumber immediately.

Help prevent sewer clogs and backflows:

  • Only flush approved materials down your toilet, or your sink drains. Flushing anything else, even wipes and other products labeled "flushable" can cause blockages.
  • Don’t pour grease down the drain. Grease builds up in pipes over time and can eventually lead to a complete blockage.
  • Replace damaged sewer clean-out caps. These white plastic caps cover the access to your home’s sewer service line. Make sure it’s clearly marked and accessible, and replace it if it’s damaged to prevent debris from entering your sewer line.
  • Keep an eye on tree roots. Tree roots can cause damage to your private sewer line. In the event of a sewer backflow, the Town of Fort Mill Utility Department primary objectives are to protect the safety, health, and wellbeing of the members of your household or business; identify the source of the problem; and see service restored as quickly as possible.

If you experience a sewer backflow at your home or business, you should immediately take any necessary measures to ensure the health and safety of the members of your household and to safeguard your property. We also suggest you begin documenting any expense incurred by you as a result of your sewer problem as this will greatly assist you in filing any claims for your damages.

Show All Answers

1. How do I set-up service?
2. What happens to my deposit?
3. How can I pay my bill?
4. How do I disconnect my service?
5. Why is my bill so much higher than my neighbor's bill?
6. I have a leak! Who do I call?
7. Why am I charged sewer usage on irrigation water that runs through my domestic meter?
8. What is a Boil Water Advisory?
9. What is a sewer backflow?
10. What is a Sanitary Sewer Overflow?
11. What is the difference between the state accommodations tax and the local accommodations tax?
12. Who approves accommodations tax expenditures?
13. Are there restrictions on the use of the accommodations tax revenue?
14. What is the Local Hospitality Tax?
15. Where do I send the taxes collected under the 2% Hospitality Tax?
16. What are the benefits of the Local Hospitality Tax?
17. What sales are subject to the Local Hospitality Tax?
18. Who is responsible for collecting and remitting the Local Hospitality Tax?
19. How will the Local Hospitality Tax be remitted to the Town of Fort Mill?
20. What if an establishment’s payment to the Town of Fort Mill is late?
21. Does the Local Hospitality Tax Act stipulate a business implementation credit for start-up costs?
22. How will the funds generated by the Hospitality Tax be allocated in future budgets?
23. How will the Town conduct audits of the Hospitality Tax?
24. Can the Town Council establish a Hospitality Tax advisory committee?
25. How do I calculate the taxes to be remitted to the Town under the 2% hospitality tax?