- Municipal Court
- Court Room Etiquette
Court Room Etiquette
The use of cell phones, pagers, and other personal communication devices are not permitted in the courtroom. They must be turned off or in silent mode. If your phone rings while in the courtroom it will be confiscated and disposed of at the discretion of the presiding judge.
Unacceptable attire includes:
- Flip-flop style shoes
- Shorts, Cut-offs or Sagging Pants
- Hats should be removed before entering the courtroom.
- Provocative clothing designed, styled or worn to provoke emotion or disrupt or distract
- Muscle shirts and T-shirts,
- Clothing indicating gang affiliation
- Obscene or Offensive Depictions/ Pictures
- Racist or Sexist Meanings
- Suggestive, Inappropriate or Vulgar Slogans
Please wear suitable clothing to court. It is inappropriate to enter the courtroom in pajamas, pajama pants or to not wear a shirt and shoes. T-shirts that carry offensive slogans or pictures are not allowed.
Children under the age of 10 are not permitted in the courtroom. Avoid bringing small children to court. If you must bring a child, please monitor their behavior so they remain quiet at all times. Parents may be asked to leave the courthouse if their child becomes noisy or unruly.
Smoking is prohibited by law in or within 10 feet of the entrance of the building.
No food or drink is allowed in the courtroom.
When addressing the Judge, please speak clearly and respectfully. Do not lean on the podium.
Sit quietly in the courtroom whenever court is in session. The proceedings are being taped and background noise may interfere with the quality of the taped recordings.
No weapons are permitted in the Fort Mill Police Department Building.