The Town of Fort Mill’s Stormwater Department holds a high priority to public education and community involvement in our stormwater programs. We want to equip our residents with the most knowledge we can and the right tools to keep an healthy community!
Stormwater runoff is rainwater that flows over land and directly into local creeks and larger waterways. Our town has a storm drainage system in place to help transport this runoff into our local waterways. Since storm drains flow directly to streams without any treatment, all residents play a role in preventing polluted runoff.
There are a lot you can do to prevent pollution from entering our storm systems and waterways:
- Don’t sweep leaves, grass, soil, and other natural materials down the storm drain
- Dispose of hazardous household chemicals properly
- Use lawn chemicals responsibly
- When walking your pet, remember to pick up the waste and dispose of it properly
- Wash your car in a commercial car wash
- Report illicit dumping